HOW CAN FAMILY LIFE WORK WITH STUDYING?
8 July 2023
When Annabelle Barlett decided to pursue her dream of becoming a clinical psychologist, University Centre Farnborough’s accelerated degree options were the perfect fit.
Taking just two years to complete a Joint Honours Degree in Psychology and Sociology meant substantially less student debt. And the intimate class environment and excellent support offered by University Centre were perfect for this busy mum.
But how can people like Annabelle balance their study with work life?
- Use Bookworms, our On-Site Nursery: One of the benefits of choosing University Centre Farnborough is the availability of an on-site nursery for your children. You can study with peace of mind, knowing that your children are in a safe and nurturing environment nearby.
- Take Advantage of Financial Assistance: University Centre Farnborough offers a bursary to many students, alleviating some of the financial burdens associated with higher education. You can also check how much money you could borrow from the government using their Student Finance Calculator.
- Connect with Fellow Classmates: University Centre Farnborough fosters a supportive community of mature students who share similar backgrounds and experiences. Engaging with your peers means you can exchange ideas, seek advice, and offer support to one another, creating a network of like-minded individuals who can help you navigate your educational journey.
- Capitalise on Online Resources: University Centre Farnborough provides a range of online resources to enhance accessibility and convenience. These resources include course materials, lecture recordings for some of our programmes, and interactive platforms for collaborative learning.
- Create a Structured Study Plan: Developing a well-structured study plan is vital for balancing your academic pursuits with family life. Set aside dedicated study times that align with your family’s routine. Creating a schedule helps you manage your time efficiently and ensures that you allocate sufficient time for both your studies and family obligations.
- Leverage Staff Support: The staff at University Centre Farnborough are dedicated to understanding the needs of students with families and recognise the challenges you face and are committed to helping you succeed. Our expertise and understanding ensure that you receive the support and flexibility needed to excel in your studies.
- Communicate with Family Members: Open and honest communication with your family members is key to maintaining a healthy balance. Explain your academic goals and the importance of uninterrupted study time. Encourage understanding and support from your loved ones, and involve them in your journey by sharing your achievements and progress.
- Seek Reliable Support Systems: Don’t hesitate to seek support from friends, relatives, or other trusted individuals. Whether it’s asking for assistance with childcare, household tasks, or even emotional support, having a reliable support system can alleviate some of the burdens and help you focus on your studies.
- Practice Self-Care: It’s crucial to take care of yourself amidst the demands of family and academics. Prioritise self-care activities such as exercise, meditation, and hobbies that help you relax and recharge. Taking care of your well-being will enhance your ability to handle stress and maintain a healthy work-life balance.
Annabelle is one of many students choosing accelerated learning at University Centre Farnborough in a growing number of disciplines which include, for the first time in 2023, Esports and Environmental Science.
Based in the heart of Farnborough, we deliver in a different way to traditional universities, with classroom-based lectures on a small campus and lots of personalised support.
“I find I am better in smaller groups as I can participate more in class debates to learn from other points of views,“ explained Annabelle.
“I have made friends for life. I would really recommend doing a course here as you can really succeed.”
That success has, at least in part, been due to the personal, close-knit and almost family feel at University Centre.
“The lecturers are passionate and really care,” said Annabelle. “They are always on hand with quick responses when you need them. They really want you to succeed.”
Support is important as it’s common to have multiple assignments at the same time on an accelerated degree. Lecturers provide a brief with deadlines and timings to help keep their students on track.
Annabelle said: “Keeping organised and balancing my workload is key, since I’m in class three days a week. I knew my timetable in advance so could balance work, coursework and my family – and still get my assignments done.”
Annabelle is so inspired she is considering taking her next step with us.
She said: “I absolutely love it here and right now I’m applying for a masters. I really want to work in forensic or health psychology, depending how I feel closer to the time, but ideally, I want to go on to do my PHD and become a clinical psychologist.
Browse all courses available at University Centre Farnborough here.